Thursday 4 January 2018

Good news from Woman's Weekly.

I have a story in the current issue of Woman's Weekly, which is great news for me, but not so interesting to everyone else. Fortunately I have what I think is good news for us all - the new fiction editor has confirmed she is now able to accept stories from all writers, whether or not they've had stories published in the magazine before.

If you've not had success with Woman's Weekly, I reccomend reading the three posts from Clare Cooper, particularly the second one.

New Woman's Weekly Fiction Guidelines (reproduced with the permission of the fiction editor)

We regret we can't accept stories by e-mail. Please include a SAE in case we have to return your manuscript.

Fiction is a vital ingredient of Woman's Weekly, the place where readers can escape and switch off. This doesn't mean predictable plots or old-fashioned romances. Escapism means getting involved in a really gripping tale with believable characters. Above all, we are looking for originality and a wide variety of themes and moods, such as mystery, humour, relationships and family issues, with warmth still an important factor. Try to be subtle in your writing and remember the maxim: "Show don't tell". We recommend you read several issues of Woman's Weekly and Woman's Weekly Fiction Special to get a feel for our audience.

Unfortunately, we can't offer criticism, but if your writing shows promise, we will contact you.


WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:

For the weekly magazine:
Short stories of 1,000 and 2,000 words
Serials in 3 or 4 parts of 3,800 words each

For Fiction Special (At least 20 stories 10 times a year):
Stories of 1,000 to 8,000 words


GENERAL TIPS
  • We read only typescripts. Handwritten work or disks can't be considered.
  • Double line spacing on one side of the paper only and wide margins.
  • Number each page and make sure your name is at the top of each page.
  • If sending stories from abroad, please enclose an international reply coupon.
  • If you would like us to acknowledge receipt of your manuscript, enclose a stamped, addressed postcard.
 Please note that it can take up to sixteen weeks for manuscripts to be considered, and that we are unable to enter into any correspondence by email.

Please send stories/serials to:
Fiction Department, Woman's Weekly, 161 Marsh Wall, London E14 9AP

Those who currently submit by email, may continue to do so.


18 comments:

Sharon Haston said...

Fab news for the new year. Thanks for the update Patsy.

Clare said...

Thank you, Patsy but I think you mean the second one, the q&a, rather than the one about life on WW in the good old days, lol. Or do you?! ;)

Patsy said...

@ Sharon - you're welcome.

@ Clare - Yes the second one! Numbers aren't really my thing ...

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the update. I will resubmit my story that was sent back unread when the situation changed so dramatically a while back. Can't do it until March though as I'm away until then.

Lindsay said...

PS Congratulations for having a story in the current edition.

The Sicilian Mama said...

Congratulations, Patsy, and thank you for the good news!

Unknown said...

Very positive news for the new year. Thanks for the update, Patsy. x

Keith Havers said...

Yippee! Thanks for the good news, Patsy.

Patsy said...

@ Lindsay - good luck with your resub.

@ Lisa - It's nice to have good news, isn't it?

@ Keith - I take it you'll be subbing, Keith?

Patsy said...

@ Scicilian Mama - thank you (sorry, I somehow missed seeing your comment).

Anonymous said...

Good news for you on the story and all of us for the opening opportunity. I came here via tumblr by the way. I'm funny like that.

Patsy said...

I'm pleased you did - now I know people can find me on there!

Maria said...

Well done Patsy! And great new for everyone else writing for the Women's fiction market.

Unknown said...

Do they want the whole of a serial now not just the first chapter, cliffhangers and synopsis as before?

Patsy said...

@ Michelle – As far as I know, they want serials just as they were subbed before.

Unknown said...

Thanks Patsy

Anonymous said...

What's Going ɗown i ɑm new toߋ this, Ӏ stumbled
ᥙpon this I've found It abѕolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads.
І hope to givve а contribution & assist ᧐ther customers likke itѕ helped me.
Grеаt job.

Unknown said...

How do I sign up for your regular updates? Please email me bookpage85@aol.com