Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Easy Reads

In the latest Writers' Forum which dropped through my letter box earlier today, there's an interview by Douglas McPherson with DC Thomson's Easy Reads commissioning editor, Maggie Seed. You'll remember I posted earlier about how these books are to replace My Weekly's pocket novels, starting October.

(I'm delighted to say, one of the very first Easy Reads will be by my great friend, Sally Quilford!)

The WF interview is a must-read for anyone aiming to write for this market. There's some new information on pay - likely to be £300 for your first Easy Read sale, then going up by £20 for each sale. Sadly previous pocket novel sales won't be taken into account. They will still buy only First Cheap Paperback Rights which leaves you free to resell the novel, perhaps to Ulverscroft as a large print novel, and to publish it as an ebook.

Maggie wants books that challenge her, and make her go 'Oh my goodness!' She wants writers to feel free of the constraints the old pocket novel format imposed. Don't be inhibited, tell the story you want to tell. Make it a page-turner. If you've gone too far, it can always be altered at the editing stage. Maggie would prefer this than for writers to hold back.

She needs to buy 50 novels a year, so this is a huge market. There are 4 categories - Caress, Liaison, Intrigue and Suspense. And so far, Douglas tells me it's been the Liaison category (the steamier romances) that she's been having trouble finding books for. So unleash your inner 50-shades and have a go!

6 comments:

Karen said...

50 Shades has opened up a whole new world - sadly not one I feel qualified (or capable) or writing about! I can feel a blush coming on already ...

Great opportunity though.

Anonymous said...

Oh, please, not more Fifty Shades of Grey...

Curious, I glanced at this book in a shop (no, I did not buy it.) Forget the sex - this is one of the most badly written stories ever published - and it is, in fact, reconstructed Twilight fanfiction - badly written fanfiction at that.

You can read better stuff for free on the net.

Pocket novel authors are far better writers - unfortunately, we're not the ones making $10 million...

Brigid (author of three Pocket Novels, and not a millionaire.)

Bridget Whelan said...

Thanks for all the information about Easy Reads - I've posted some of it on my blog, directing readers back to you of course. You've created a wonderful and generous resource for writers and emerging writers - essential reading for anyone serious about tackling the magazine market.

Julie P said...

Ah - but Fifty Shades has sold millions - badly written or not!

Anonymous said...

I would like to have a go at an Easy Read, but can't get around what i consider to be, a low payment, for so many words. I mean you could write a lot of short stories for 50,000 words and earn an awful lot more than £300 (even plus the possible large print money added on), if you sold the all those shorts to TAB or WW.

I think Easy REads are good for those people who can churn out 50,000 quickly, like i believe Sally Quilford can - but for anyone else, i dunno... It takes me 6 months to write the first draft of a 90,000 word novel. So that would be 3 solid months at least. I could write lots of shorts in that time.

Laura Marcus said...

I agree with anonymous. £300 for 50,000 words is a lousy payment. You'd earn more working in Sainsbury's.